” High Five! 4 – 5 “

It was overcast and light fog flowed in the air.  Sitting on my porch overlooking the lake, I sipped my coffee, ate my breakfast, and formulated a game plan.  With a couple fishing spots in mind, I quickly finished my oatmeal, blueberries, strawberries, bananas, granola and honey, proceeded to the boat, started her up, and cruised to the first spot in mind.  A spot with some weeds.

The first spot was fairly deep (15 -18ft) with tall weeds throughout the area.  I could see small bait fish and yellow perch swimming around the tops of the weeds. I fished for about 40 minutes. Using the trolling motor, moving quietly, I managed to catch a smallmouth that weighted 2 lb. 2 oz. Not ideal, but the fight was appreciated. It was time to move.

The next spot was off a point surrounded by four white buoys.  The buoys indicated structures below, which were large wooden crates of rocks.  A great spot for a bass to be lurkin’.

I anchored 15 to 20 yards out from the buoys, chilled for a sec to let things settle, and cast my white/green plastic worm right over the rocks. Instantly, the Bass whacked it, darted back and forth, and broke the surface. Right then and there, I knew it was a nice one.  The adrenaline was pumping, and I was tuned in.  Assuming, I had the Bass hooked well, I loosened my drag, and let the fish run and tire out.  After about five minutes, the fight was over, and I pulled the Bass into the boat.

I was stoked; I knew it was over 4 pounds.  I grabbed my digital scale, hooked it under the gills, and wham 4 lb. 5 oz. I was feeling good; however, I then realized, I left my camera gear back at the cabin. WTF! I filled up the livewell, and headed back. The process had to be done ninja quick because I didn’t want to jeopardize the Bass’ life. Before I knew it, I was back. I got my gear, showed the Bass to my family, and headed back to the spot.

Wasting no time, I set up the tripod, GoPro, and started to shoot. Then out of nowhere, a wake from a passing boat rolled on through; knocking my tripod and GoPro into the water. C’mon Man! I put the Bass back into the livewell grabbed the net, and pulled the camera out of the water.  The GoPro was toast, but I was able to use my digital camera.

It was a hectic 30 minutes, but the quest for bass had to continue on. I let the Bass go, and proceeded to the next spot. As for the GoPro, I put it in a bag of rice, and it worked the next day.  High Five! 4, 5.  BassNinja®.